Friday, April 8, 2011
Reflections on 29
I'm on the verge of entering a new decade in my life. I wanted to document a few of my thoughts the day after celebrating my 29th birthday:
I love, love being the mother of all boys. It brings my heart happiness I never thought possible. I guess I never imagined that I would be the mother to a small army of men, I'm so thankful that I am.
I am passionately in love with my husband. I still run to see him at the end of his work day. He makes me want to be a better person. I would rather snuggle with him and watch a movie than do just about anything in the world. I am undyingly devoted to him.
I despise texting. There are a few times, I admit, that it has been convenient. Mostly though, I think it's a horrible form of communication. Which leaves me living in the dark ages, I know.
I am living a dream. Somewhere along the 29 years of my existence I determined that living on a farm was something I deeply desired. Though there are times, admittedly, over the past few months that I have wanted to burn the place down...literally. I have determined that there is a peace and reflective happiness that comes from living in the country. I am looking forward to many more years of living this dream.
I love to organize things. I feel giddy at the thought of a well organized closet or cupboard, labels and all.
I am a baker. Not a chef. A baker, and a self-proclaimed one at that. I love to bake bread, pastries, cookies, muffins, breakfast foods, and almost any and every dessert conceivable.
I love sports. I love to watch collegiate football and basketball. I really enjoy attending almost any sporting event, from baseball to hockey to football. (I especially love watching my boys' sporting events...I must admit however, that I have the hot Hosking blood that tends to boil in defensiveness of my own children!)
I call my mom almost every day. She is one of my best friends and we can talk about almost everything to absolutely nothing for hours.
I have taken to classical music. Every morning on the drive to school we crank up Gonzaga's classical music station, here, in Spokane. The boys would never admit it...they love it too.
I do not enjoy anything to do with cars. I don't like spending the money to buy them. I don't like paying to fix them. I dont' like paying to fill them up with gas. I do not dream of owning an extremely awesome vehicle that will depreciate the second I hand over the money for purchasing it. Overall, I consider them a necessary evil in my life. Maybe it's because we never have...and probably never will have, exorbitant amounts of money. Either way, cars just aren't my thing.
Which leads me to another point. I think in vehicle entertainment systems are ridiculous. Really, do our children need more time in front of the t.v.?! I think not. I do not want to own a car with a built in entertainment center, ever. My boys need to look out the window and reflect upon life (or learn not to punch each other in the face while sitting in the car). Don't get me wrong, we have a portable DVD player that we use for long plane rides or road trips-- there is a time and a place for these things-- just not every time we set foot in the car, really.
I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true. There things I do not understand. There always will be. One thing I am certain of is my faith. I can accept that one day, I'll understand everything. Until then I will continue to press forward in the gospel, always.
I really like to clean. Not sweeping the floors here and there, I'm talking deep cleaning. It's so satisfying as a homemaker to have a clean house. I love it.
I need sunshine. There is nothing better than waking up to the beautiful sun shining through my window. My mood is lighter and I just feel better.
I really like an adventure. Not an extreme adventure (i.e. skydiving, cliff jumping, you know crazy things). I like traveling to new places and trying new things. I need a little spontaneity in my life.
In celebration of my birthday, my boys made me an awesome cake. I woke up to balloons (a princess mylar to boot) and flowers. The boys tried extra hard not to argue and I took the liberty of painting my nails pink. We dined at P.F. Changs and the boys' were excellent. Really. It was a lovely night. The group sitting adjacent to us even gave us a very fine compliment (a great birthday gift:). Spencer surprised me with tickets to this (I am so excited to see it!) and many of my loved ones called to wish me a happy birthday, Thank You. I am a very lucky girl. We'll see what 30 brings....
Posted by
The Stucki's
at
Friday, April 08, 2011
