Friday, November 16, 2012

The step stools.

My grandfather is beyond words amazing.  Besides being able to fix/build anything and everything (the man built a boat from the ground up...honestly!), being the most generous, giving, extremely talented, tougher than nails guy, he is also an amazing woodworker.  I still have the toy box that he made me when I was a little girl.  It has traveled with me from coast to coast on every move we've made.  It now sits in our playroom and holds the boys' costumes.  I'm thinking it will probably become my own daughters keepsake eventually (I just have to break the news to the boys! :).

















When we were little my grandfather made each of his grandchildren little step stools with our names on them.  I vividly remember my stool, the gold letters spelled my name K-Y-L-E-E-N   and it was the perfect size.  I loved my little step stool.  Recently, he made all of the Hosking great-grandchildren the same stool of our childhood.  He built them from scratch & hand-cut & stained each individual letter spelling each of their name's.  My boys use their stools for everything.  They can be found in the kitchen, outside by the trampoline, in the barn, in the shop, in the bathroom, by the food pantry, in the basement.  You name it...one of the stools has probably been there!




We love our stools.  And we love grandpa GP even more.  I could go on and on about my grandfather.  He is truly a wonderful man.  I have always had a special relationship with him.  When I was little I was he snowmobiling partner.  No one else dared ride with grandpa...he was, shall we say, a bit of a speedy driver.  I loved those times riding with my grandpa.  I trusted him and no matter how fast we went or how many high mountains we climbed.  I knew that I was safe.  My grandfather was sitting right next to me (flying a helicopter) when Spencer proposed (thanks to him I was able to stutter the word "YES" out when Spence popped the question!).  Throughout my entire life I have admired the good man that he is.  I seriously am so blessed to have him as my grandfather.  I feel like I am his FAVORITE grandchild.  The thing is, I know I am not the only one who feels that way :).  I am eternally grateful for the example that he is to me and to each one of my children.



And yes, Tenley already has a stool of her own.  Thank you Grandapa.  I love you.