Friday, January 18, 2008

Talmage the brave!

I had to tell this story because I couldn't believe my little Talmage today. I had to take Truman and Talmage to get their blood drawn, while Taede was a preschool. We drove to the hospital, checked in at the lab and waited for the nurse to come and get us. Then it was our turn. We went into the room where they would have their blood drawn and the phlebotomist asked me which child I wanted to go first. I thought I would have Truman go first so that he wouldn't see Talmage upset and then not want me to even hold him so that they could draw his blood and I thought if I needed to do a little reasoning Talmage might understand me a little better (like I can really reason with a 3 year old!). So, I held Truman and they put the tourniquet on his arm and tears began. He was screaming and crying during the whole thing. It was so sad. Talmage just sat there next to me with this blank stare, knowing that this was what was coming his way. I set Truman down when the bandaging was done and he walked over to the "toy chest" to pick a prize for enduring the event. I picked Tal up anticipating the squirming and screaming that I knew was inevitable. Not the case. He calmly sat down on my lap and put his arm out. They placed the tourniquet on his arm and he didn't even flinch. His facial expression undaunted. I knew for sure that once that needle broke skin it was all over. Not the case. Once again he just sat there. Not a muscle moved. The nurse filled 2 tubes of blood and removed the needle. That was it. The kid was amazing. Not one tear. I couldn't believe it! He walked over to the prize chest and pick out a toy airplane which he immediately said was "what Taede like too" and that was that. So here's to Talmage who is one tough little guy! I love this boy!!